Thursday, October 30, 2014

Wrapping up

Well... School has officially ended. Grades have been handed out to the kids. The teachers took a trip to Gisenyi in the north together to celebrate the year. We drove to the border with Goma, to see it, had lunch, at a hotel, went to another hotel right on lake Kivu to relax for a bit, and then drove back to the city. It was enjoyable. The whole area is incredibly scenic. It surprised me that in a country the size of tiny Rwanda, many of the teachers had never been to Gisenyi before, despite the fact that it is one of the biggest towns in the country and is only like 140km from Kigali. Rwandans just really don't travel like Americans do. 

In our free time, Tim and I are planning our journey home which will include a brief stop over in Kenya before moving on to Europe. We also have been spending a lot of time at the market trying to get last minute tailoring done. Today we are heading to another town on Lake Kivu to relax for a day and have a chance to close out our time in Rwanda together, a mini retreat of sorts. It means that by the time I return tomorrow I won't have been to school for 3 whole days in a row. A record time away from school for me practically. 

The S3s started their national exams today. Tim, myself, the other teachers, and the school are all wishing them luck. 

I've included a picture of some of the stuff I've had made here. It is incredible to me that people, so many of them, sew so well. I took a picture of 2 dresses I liked to a tailor and said "i want it to look like this, but I want the back to look like this" and they did it just by looking at a grainy picture I printed from the internet and my measurements... And it fit. 






1 comment: